Love London? This blog will remind you why.

Welcome in. Sit back, put your feet up and enjoy a little bit of London with Molly and Berts (cup of Rosie and choice of biscuits optional).

Wednesday 16 September 2009

The Moody Thames


Today I had the pleasure of cycling over Waterloo Bridge for the first time. It took my breath away. The river surprised me with its ozone smell - I normally associate that scent with the sea, but here it was, right at the heart of London. The sun was bright, but the wind strong too, and the light was powerful on the river, glinting off the London Eye, the glass buildings, and of course the water. Looking up and down the river (I had to cross to either side of the road to get the full effect) I had the sense of just how important the river had been to London's life over the years. Watching the river traffic it struck me how the Thames was London's first super highway, and the river itself coursed with the life of the city. Without it, would there even be a London?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think...